What gutters do and why you need them cleaned
Gutters reroute the rain that falls on your roof and run along the side of the roof on your home, water is directed away from the house or building and the very foundations on which it’s built. Without regular gutter maintenance and cleaning, one that’s kept free of leaves and debris, the water would collect around the foundations, water-logging the area and potentially cause serious damage.
What’s more, the guttering system and its components also help to prevent damage to the roof and the walls of your building. If it isn’t functioning as it should, which is usually due to a build-up of materials (leaves, dirt, flowers, seeds and other debris), it’s unable to provide these important functions and your home is placed at great risk of water damage.
What are Gutters
Gutters comprise of few components that work together to collect the water that falls on your roof as rain keeping away from your home and its foundations. These components are:
- Gutter — This is the straight section usually Aluminium, Steel or plastic that runs along the side of your roof to collect rainwater. Aluminium gutters are the most popular and preferred gutter material in Australia for there longevity. The gutter is usually secured via gutter clips attached to the building.
- End cap — This component provides an end to the gutter so that water can’t flow out and redirects to the downpipe. In most cases, there’s an end cap on each end of the gutter.
- Downpipe — Through this component, the water flows into the designated exit point, usually a drain or soak well.
These are the main components of a standard residential guttering system. Commercial installation requires some added components and also the allowance of larger volumes of water to exit the roof.
Regular Gutter Maintenance and Cleaning is Essential
To keep your gutters in the best shape a yearly service is best, keeping your gutters free of debris and enable it to perform the important function that it’s designed to, regular gutter cleaning is essential. Some of the many benefits associated with regular gutter cleaning include:
- Maintaining a functioning guttering system
- Preventing damage to the foundation and surrounds
- Preventing costly damage to your home or office
- Avoiding rodents and birds from nesting etc.
- Overhanging trees can also be a nasty suprise with the amount they contribute to the cause
Hire a Handyman South West, will provide an experienced gutter cleaning expert and we will remove all the debris from your roof and gutters to prevent it becoming lodged in your downpipes. We will bag it as we collect it and then dispose of the waste. If we notice any areas that have become damaged or are starting to show signs of, we’ll inform you of the damage and the options that you’re advised to take, moreover if there are tress or any issues that we find they will be reported, this will all be done obligation free and part of our reliable professional service.
For a competitive quote and related services, including branch removale, solar panel cleaning and high-pressure cleaning, contact Hire a Handyman South West today. We are here to help and keep your gutters running free all winter long and to make sure that it protects your home rather than severe water damage that can occur when the above is not conducted regularly.